A few years back Apple added the much-awaited system-level dark mode on iPhone. The feature was rolled out to compatible iPhones. When enabled, dark mode on iPhone turns the complete UI to pinch dark on iPhones with OLED display.
Although there is no scientific proof that Dark Mode reduces strain from our eyes, it does help in saving battery. If you have recently upgraded to an older iPhone or purchased an iPhone for the first time and are looking to turn on Dark Mode, you have come to the right article. Here is our detailed guide on how to enable dark mode on iPhone.
Enable Dark Mode on iPhone in iOS 17
There are mainly two ways to enable dark mode on iPhone. One can either do it from the Settings app or Control Center. It is also possible to set dark mode on iPhone turn on and off automatically. We have explained everything below in the article. Go through the article and enable dark mode on your iPhone.
The best way to enable dark mode on iPhone is from the settings app. Apple has given all the options to play with the dark mode in the built-in settings app. Follow these steps and enable a system-wide dark mode on iPhone.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. In the iPhone’s Settings app, scroll down to Display and Brightness and select it.
3. Under Display & Brightness settings, the first section will be Appearance. You will get both Light and Dark options there.
4. Tap on Dark to enable dark mode on your iPhone.
When you turn on Dark Mode on your iPhone, it will change the appearance of the whole system UI to dark. That’s it; you have successfully enabled dark mode on your iPhone.
Set Dark Mode on iPhone Turn On and Off Automatically
The above steps work well if you want to turn on dark mode manually on your iPhone. But the fact is you can’t keep enabling and disabling dark mode every single time. There is a way to set dark mode automatically. Follow the below steps to set dark mode on iPhone to change automatically.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down to Display and Brightness settings and tap on it.
3. In the Display & Brightness settings, tap on Dark. You will get an Automatic option below the Light and Dark options. Tap on the switch next to Automatic to set dark mode on iPhone turn on and off automatically.
4. Now, your next question might be when my iPhone changes its appearance automatically. There are two options for it you can either set Sunset to Sunrise. It will enable dark mode until sunrise or select a Custom Schedule of your choice.
5. To select one of the options, tap on Options below the Automatic switch. Select the Sunset to Sunrise option if you want your iPhone to turn on dark mode at sunset and keep it until Sunrise.
6. If you want to set a Custom Schedule depending upon your use case, tap on the Custom Schedule option. Select the time for Light and Dark modes to enable automatic.
As you can see above in the screenshot, I have set a Custom Schedule to enable Dark mode at 11:00 PM and keep it on until 6:00 AM. Similarly, you can select a schedule as per your needs. That’s all you need to do to set dark mode on iPhone turn on and off automatically.
Enable Dark Mode on iPhone From Control Center
If enabling dark mode on iPhone from settings sounds a bit time-consuming, you can do it from Control Center as well. Below are the steps to enable dark mode on iPhone from the control centre.
1. Open Control Center on your iPhone. You can do it by swiping down from the top right corner of the screen.
2. In the Control Center, press and hold the Display adjustment tile. It will open a few Display settings options on the screen.
3. You will see a Dark Mode toggle in the bottom left corner. Tap on Dark Mode off Until Sunset to enable dark mode on your iPhone. Once Dark Mode is enabled, it will show Dark Mode on Until Sunrise.
4. If you want the toggle to Dark Mode on Until a time set by you, follow the steps mentioned above in this article to set a Custom Schedule for iPhone dark mode.
That’s it, guys; This is how you can enable dark mode on iPhone from the control centre.
Add a Dark Mode Toggle to the Control Center
You might find it irritating to press and hold the Display tile in the Control Center to turn on or turn off Dark Mode on your iPhone. But you don’t need to go through the hassle as you can add a dark mode toggle to the control centre.
1. Open the built-in Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Under Settings, scroll down and tap on Control Centre.
3. In the Control Center setting, you will get Included Controls and More Controls. Scroll down and look for Dark Mode control. Tap on the + icon left to Dark Mode control and tap on it. Now the Mode will appear in Included Controls.
Following the above steps will add Dark Mode toggle to the Control Center. Now swipe down from the top right corner to open Control Center and tap on the Dark Mode toggle to enable or disable dark mode on your iPhone.
Enable Dark Mode on Older iPhones
If you have an older iPhone model, you might miss out on dark mode on your iPhone. But you can still get a Dark Mode alternative on those iPhone models. Apple provides an accessibility feature named Smart Invert on every iPhone, enabling a dark mode appearance on older iPhones.
The Smart Invert is not as good as the system-level dark mode support, but it is better than not having dark mode. It inverts the system UI colours without changing any media properties. Follow the below dark mode on older iPhones using Smart Invert.
1. Open Settings on your iPhone.
2. Under Settings, scroll down to Accessibility and select it.
3. Once you are in the Accessibility settings, tap on Display & Text Size.
4. Under Display & Text Size, you will get the Smart Invert option. Tap on the switch right to enable Smart Invert on your iPhone.
When you enable Smart Invert, the system will reverse the Display’s colour. Instead of showing black text on a white screen, it will show white text on a black screen. I enabled Smart Invert on my iPhone for testing purposes, and it looked almost identical to full-fledged dark mode support. It lagged only on the websites or apps having images and media as Smart Invert doesn’t reverse colours for media.
Why can’t I find dark mode on my iPhone?
You cannot find dark mode on your iPhone because you might be using an older iPhone. If you have an older iPhone, you will not see the dark mode on your iPhone. You can use Smart Invert as a dark mode alternative on your iPhone.
Is Dark mode available in iPhone 6?
Apple dropped the software support for iPhone 6 back in 2018. The last iOS update iPhone 6 received was iOS 12, whereas the dark mode support on iPhones was added with iOS 13. It simply means dark mode is not available on iPhone 6. If you want dark mode, try the Smart Invert feature by following the steps mentioned above in the article.
Dark Mode gained a lot of popularity in smartphone users. When app developers started to add dark mode support in their apps, Apple thought, why not add system-level dark mode support on iOS. So users will have to turn on a toggle, and the appearance of the whole system will change to dark mode.
The company eventually rolled out the feature. As you are looking to turn on the dark mode on your iPhone, We have simplified things by providing the steps above in the article.